Monday, April 30, 2012

A Closet of Horrors


“These floral shirts look like curtains,” Justin said while dragging the shirts out of Stephanie’s closet. “And what the heck are these things? They look like they are straight out of the ‘90s!”  He held up a pair of platform sandals.

“Ok, whatever to the shirts. We can ditch them, but the heels make me tall!”

He rolled his eyes and gave a sigh of disgust. These need to go away now, he thought. He threw them in a pile with other shoes and moved on to the next piece of clothing.

Stephanie’s tiny, 2-by-4 closet was full of clothing from middle school and high school, and there was enough to supply a small army of children. This girl is 21 years old and needs to start looking like it. All she does is complain about how everyone thinks she is 16, and Justin was sick of hearing her talk about it.

Turning back to the closet he found the next ugliest thing and said: “How old are you, 80?” The sweater was white, fluffy and long, with no buttons except for a broche of a golden Christmas wreath.

“Well, it was a gift from one of my aunts,” Stephanie retaliated.

“That explains it. Can I burn it now or later?” Justin dived back into Stephanie’s closet, flinging the old lady sweater to the donation pile while she sat on her bed, dangling her feet. She appeared defensive and unwilling to cooperate. But that’s OK, because one way or another he was going to get rid of all that stuff even if she screamed.

This went on for a while. Shirt after shirt, skirt after skirt. This is never going to end. We have a lot of work to do. He gazed at the inside of the closet door and felt the compulsion to just throw everything away. We have a lot of work to do.

Why does she have a towel in her closet? Oh my god it’s a skirt. “Stephanie, why do you have this?” He pulled out a powder pink skirt with ruffles and tasseled fringes all over it.

“I took it with me to Russia, I love that skirt!”

“I don’t care! It looks like a towel!”

“I wear this skirt to church. What am I going to wear to services without it?”

“You can go buy a new skirt, but you need to get rid of this ugly thing. You can attach pictures to the tassels.” She got off the bed and tried wrestling it out of his hands. “You need to let go. Let go. I mean it, or else I will, and I swear, I will tear it.”

Thank god this is almost over. He looked over at the pile of bags filled with clothing. I need to get out of here. “Oh fabulous, you can finally open and close the door now!” Justin said.

2 a.m. rolled around and the house was quiet except for the two of them, they began to take the garbage bags filled with clothing to the basement. Justin hugged his best friend good night, and she couldn’t decide whether to thank him or cry.

All that work thoroughly tired Justin out, and he was ready to go to bed. He slowly made his way into his 2005 Toyota Corolla, and was glad that that her closet was finally clean of all the memories and terrors of a life in high school.

Written: 22 February 2012

2 comments:

  1. I'd say that high school wasn't that bad but I specifically remember telling myself "In case you ever look back at high school with rose-tinted sunglasses like every other adult, remember that high school SUCKED" and I never forgot it. =P

    And I don't know if it helps but I don't think of you as 16, hell every time I talk to you I don't know if you'll be somewhere in Russia, doing work for a charity or working for a 3 letter agency that you may or may not be allowed to tell me. Teenage girls just don't do that, and I respect you immensely for it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that means a lot. The only time I actually enjoyed high school was my freshman year when I met you, Cory, Nathan and that whole gang. Then after Murray took over, it all started to go down hill. Except for Russian class/club. But all the times we hung out and played video games like Gears of War and all the others made it all so much better.

      Delete